Former West Bromwich Albion midfielder Quévin Castro has died at the age of 25 after collapsing during a pre-season friendly in Portugal.
Castro was playing for Real Sport Clube against top-flight Estrela da Amadora at the Estádio das Seixas in Malveira, near Lisbon, on Saturday, 22 August, when he suddenly collapsed during the opening stages of the match. The Lisbon Football Association and Real Sport Clube confirmed his death.
The incident occurred around the 10th minute. Castro received immediate attention on the pitch, including attempts to revive him with a defibrillator, before emergency medical services took him to hospital. He could not be saved. The friendly was subsequently abandoned following the tragedy.
Real Sport Clube described Castro as much more than a footballer and said he had been a valued member of the club’s sporting family. Estrela da Amadora also expressed its condolences to his family, friends and former teammates. The Lisbon Football Association said the Portuguese football community stood alongside those closest to him during the difficult period.
Castro had built much of his professional career between Portugal and England. He joined West Bromwich Albion’s academy in 2021 as a teenager and progressed into the first team. His senior debut came in a League Cup match against Arsenal, while he made his league debut for the club in February 2022. He later spent time on loan at Burton Albion, Notts County and Gateshead before leaving West Brom in 2023.
After departing The Hawthorns, Castro continued his career in the English game, representing clubs including York City, King’s Lynn, Chippenham, Cambridge City and Eastbourne Borough. He had joined Real Sport Clube after returning to Portugal, his country of birth.
During his spell with York City in the 2023–24 season, Castro made 16 appearances in all competitions and scored once. The club described him as a much-loved member of that squad and said everyone associated with York was devastated by his death.
West Bromwich Albion have also paid tribute to their former player. The English club said it was devastated by Castro’s untimely death and announced plans to honour him during their match against Burnley. Players and staff will wear black armbands, while supporters will be invited to join a period of applause in the 25th minute — a gesture marking Castro’s age at the time of his death.
Castro’s death has brought mourning across both Portuguese and English football. His career had taken him from youth football in England to the professional game, followed by a return to Portugal. At just 25, his sudden death has left former teammates, clubs and supporters confronting the loss of a young player whose football career was still unfolding.



