Khabor Wala Desk
Published: 7th March 2025, 3:35 AM
WASHINGTON, 7 March 2025 (BSS/AFP) – President Donald Trump has once again raised doubts over the United States’ commitment to NATO, stating on Thursday that countries failing to invest adequately in their militaries do not deserve to be defended.
“If they don’t pay, I’m not going to defend them,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office.
The Republican president, who began his second term in January, has long questioned the role of the United States—by far the largest military power within the transatlantic alliance—as the ultimate guarantor of European security since World War II.
Pressure on NATO Members
Trump reiterated his view that some NATO member states are overly reliant on the United States while failing to meet their financial obligations.
“They should be paying more,” he insisted, in response to questions about a recent NBC News report. The report suggested that the president is considering a policy that would link US military support to the level of defence spending by individual NATO countries.
Currently, NATO’s target for defence spending stands at 2% of GDP, a benchmark that only 23 of its 32 members were expected to meet last year. Trump has previously pushed for this threshold to be raised to 5% of GDP.
According to the reported plan, countries failing to meet their spending commitments might not receive US protection if attacked—an approach that would significantly undermine NATO’s Article 5. The collective defence clause guarantees that an attack on one member is considered an attack on all, ensuring a unified military response.
Doubts About Allied Support for the US
Trump also questioned whether key allies, such as France, would reciprocate in defending the United States if the situation were reversed.
“If the United States was in trouble and we called them—we said, ‘We’ve got a problem, France. We’ve got a problem. A couple of others, I won’t mention. Do you think they’re gonna come and protect us? Hmm. They’re supposed to. I’m not so sure,” he remarked.
French President Emmanuel Macron swiftly responded to Trump’s comments, reaffirming France’s commitment to the alliance.
“France is a loyal and steadfast ally,” Macron told reporters in Brussels following a meeting of EU leaders, where they agreed on measures to bolster European defence capabilities.
“We have always been there for each other,” he added, citing historical instances of Franco-American cooperation. “We have shown respect and friendship towards the United States, and we are entitled to ask for the same in return.”
Growing Uncertainty in Transatlantic Relations
Trump’s scepticism towards NATO has been a recurring theme since his first term, during which he frequently criticised member states for what he described as inadequate military investment. His latest remarks have once again raised concerns among European allies over Washington’s long-term commitment to the alliance.
European leaders have increasingly discussed plans to enhance the continent’s own defence capabilities, in part due to uncertainty over US support. The European Union has taken steps towards strengthening its independent security mechanisms, with leaders advocating for greater military cooperation between member states.
With global security concerns rising, including Russia’s continued aggression in Ukraine and tensions in the Indo-Pacific, Trump’s stance on NATO could have far-reaching consequences for Western military strategy.
Comments