Khabor Wala Desk
Published: 18th August 2026, 3:41 PM
Two campus journalists were allegedly assaulted and forced to delete video footage while covering a clash between rival factions of the Bangladesh Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD) at Noakhali Science and Technology University (NSTU).
The incident reportedly took place at around 3.30am on Tuesday near Bir Muktijoddha Abdul Malek Ukil Hall and the university’s Pocket Gate. The journalists involved are Mahi Chiddiki Siam, NSTU correspondent for Manab Zamin, and Mehedi Hasan, NSTU correspondent for Protidiner Sangbad.
According to allegations, several JCD activists physically harassed the journalists and took control of their mobile phones during the incident. The journalists said they were attempting to document the confrontation as part of their professional duties when they were stopped.
The individuals named in the allegations are Atik Hasan of the 17th cohort of the Bangla Department, Tanvir Bhuiyan of the 18th cohort of the Economics Department, Khan Mohammad Romman of the 19th cohort of the Law Department, Faisal Hossain of the 18th cohort of the Physics Department, and M K M Akram Khan of the 18th cohort of the Agriculture Department.
Siam said he went towards the hall after hearing shouting, arguments and sounds of fighting from the rooftop area. Shortly after he arrived, the lights reportedly went out. When he attempted to switch them back on, he alleged that Romman and another person pushed him.
Siam said the situation escalated as rival groups within the JCD chased one another through the hall. He identified the groups as being aligned with the organisation’s president and general secretary on one side and its senior vice-president on the other. He also said that coordinator Zahid was chased out of the hall towards the university’s Pocket Gate.
While following the group towards the gate, Siam began recording the incident on his mobile phone. He alleged that Romman, Atik, Tanvir and Faisal then surrounded him.
According to Siam, Romman pushed him and struck him on the hand and neck before demanding to see his mobile phone. Although the phone was switched off, he alleged that he was forced to unlock it after it was taken from him. The video footage he had recorded was then deleted.
Siam further alleged that the activists checked various social media applications on his phone to determine whether he had sent the footage to anyone. After the material was deleted, he said he was released and told not to report the incident.
Mehedi Hasan gave a similar account of the confrontation. He said that he and Siam were recording the altercation between the JCD activists when Faisal Hossain allegedly took their mobile phones and ordered them to stop filming. Faisal then allegedly pushed both journalists away from the area.
The incident has prompted concerns over the ability of journalists to work independently on the university campus, particularly when reporting on politically affiliated student organisations. The journalists have called for a proper investigation and disciplinary action against those found responsible.
Nahidul Islam, president of the NSTU Journalists’ Association, said the two journalists involved were members of the organisation and that the association intended to submit a formal complaint to the university administration. He called for an environment in which campus journalists could carry out their professional responsibilities without fear or intimidation.
Hossainul Hossain, general secretary of the NSTU unit of the JCD, said he was not aware of the allegations and did not have detailed information about the incident. He said he would look into the matter before commenting further.
NSTU Proctor Professor A F M Arifur Rahman said members of the hall provost body and the university administration had been informed about the incident. He said security personnel, including Ansar members, had been instructed to remain alert and that a meeting of the proctorial body was being convened.
The proctor also said he had spoken with the president of the university’s Journalists’ Association about the alleged harassment. If a formal complaint is submitted, the university will take necessary action in accordance with its rules, he said.
The allegations have not been independently established, and the university authorities are yet to complete their review of the incident. A formal investigation and statements from all sides are expected to clarify what happened during the late-night confrontation and whether any disciplinary measures are warranted.
No related posts available.
Comments