Khabor Wala Desk
Published: 19th August 2026, 11:07 AM
An Israeli strike on a crowded café in Gaza City has killed at least six people and injured 14 others, according to Palestinian sources cited by Al Jazeera.
The attack took place on Tuesday, 18 August, at a café in the port area of Gaza City that had been turned into a makeshift shelter for displaced Palestinians. The venue was reportedly being used by people who had been forced from their homes by the continuing conflict.
Following the strike, several bodies were taken to Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, Palestinian sources said. The reported casualties add to the growing toll among civilians in the Gaza Strip, where repeated Israeli military operations have caused widespread displacement and placed heavy pressure on hospitals and other essential services.
The Israeli military said the strike targeted several Hamas commanders. According to the military, the individuals were involved in planning attacks against Israel. The Israeli forces did not, however, publicly provide evidence to substantiate the claim, and details about the identities of those targeted were not immediately available.
The latest attack comes amid continued diplomatic efforts to secure a ceasefire in Gaza. A United States-backed proposal has been under discussion, but major disagreements between Israel and Hamas remain unresolved.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has continued to oppose a withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza unless Hamas first agrees to lay down its weapons. His position has remained a central obstacle in negotiations over a possible ceasefire and a longer-term arrangement for the territory.
Hamas has taken the opposite position, insisting that it will not surrender its weapons while Israeli forces remain in Gaza. The two sides’ conflicting demands have complicated efforts by mediators to reach an agreement that would halt the fighting and establish conditions for a broader settlement.
According to the report, Israeli forces currently control roughly 60 per cent of the Gaza Strip. The extent of military control and continuing hostilities have left large numbers of Palestinians displaced, many of whom are living in temporary shelters or makeshift facilities.
The café targeted in Tuesday’s strike was one such place being used by displaced people. The incident highlights the risks facing civilians who have sought refuge in improvised shelters amid the ongoing conflict.
Hamas condemned the attack in a statement, describing it as a “blatant disregard” for calls for a ceasefire issued by mediators and countries involved in guaranteeing a potential truce. The group also reiterated its opposition to surrendering its weapons while Israeli troops remain in the territory.
The reported strike underscores the continuing difficulty of securing a ceasefire in Gaza. While international efforts remain focused on ending the fighting, the opposing demands of Israel and Hamas over military withdrawal and disarmament continue to stand between the two sides and a possible agreement.
Comments